I know I have not posted for some time but I will catch people up to speed as quickly as possible.
-I went to Costa Rica for my leave period at the end of January till mid Feb.
- I have been out in the wilderness again just counting down the days until I get off the plane in Canada
Now I can write a resent-ish post!
So I have attempted to write this post several times. During my first attempt I thought I would write an account of my trip to Costa Rica with two friends from University. This did not work out too well for several reasons. First, by the time I was done writing about half of my trip I had written just over five thousand words! This is basically the equivalent of a third year University term paper and far too long for a simple blog post. The second shortcoming was that it ended up being a romance novel declaring my love for Costa Rica. I could not believe what I had written. It was embarrassing to think that others would read it! So needless to say if you want to hear about my trip I would love to tell you about it over a cup of coffee or a cold beer. I had a great time and met some incredible people so there is plenty to talk about.
My second attempt at writing the blog ended with nothing being saved on the website because of our dodgy internet and a coinciding crash of my computer. This is my third attempt and I promise I will finish it this time.
What is there to report? Not much. Not much has changed since I last wrote. We are still here doing our job when they need us too but we are only occasionally called upon. This could be frustrating, and it most certainly is at times, but part of our job is to heed the call when needed but otherwise hold fast. So we hold fast and pass the time like we have for the past six months. We work out, watch movies, talk to family when the phone is available, cruise the internet when we are able to get it, and exchange books with each other like we are running a book club. Like the old army adage, we make do.
Other things have certainly changed around here though. There was a considerable amount of moisture in February which is making the fields around us green and bringing weeds to the surface where there was nothing before. It reaffirms my initial observations back in October that it is incredible that anything can grow in such an arid environment. Speaking of which, this arid environment is getting hotter as the days go by as well! There have been a few days that the high has been around the forty degree range but for the most part it has settled to around 30 degrees. Thank goodness I like the sun and heat otherwise this might get tiring. One of the greatest bright spots of this tour has been the fact that I have totally skipped the Canadian winter season! Get back right in time to enjoy the summer!
Beyond the weather there is little to report. All of us are consumed with talking about what we plan to do this summer, whom is signing contract extensions, and what to spend our tour bonuses on. I guess in one way the main struggle now is to simple keep our heads in the game. There is still six full weeks left and we still have to stay sharp.
I will try and get a couple more posts out before my time is up here; even if it is just to inform you guys that I am still biding my time.
Hope all is well
Bdr. Fossum
No comments:
Post a Comment