Since I last posted our world here in the FOB was turned upside down. A small cadre of dedicated troops got up early for every single game of the World Juniors; even if it meant waking up at, or staying up till, 0130. We went through the motions of the gimmie games against Switzerland, Slovakia, and Latvia just as many of you did. It was clear after the first game against USA that should we ever play them in the medal rounds we would have to bring our "A" game. We did not and now we suffer the humility of being second to our southern neighbors. I would like to say that its all right, we had a good run of five championships but it would be a terrible lie. Thank god most of the Americans at the camp here do not have the slightest clue about hockey let alone The World Junior Hockey Championship. To suffer constant reminders of the loss from our American counterparts would almost be unbearable.
New Years came and past with out little more than a second thought here in Afghanistan. I spent the evening off the internet in an attempt to avoid all the plan making that was going on back in Canada without me. I was in bed by eleven that night and gave it little thought the next day. I will say that I am thankful not to endure the head ache that the celebrations usually bring about.
I did partake in a common New Years ritual though. I reflected upon the past year and all that happened in it. I read some of my previous blog entries, some of the writing I did through out the year, looked at pictures, and tried to remember all the books I read. Here is a brief list of my 2009!
1) I have spent over six months in the field. This includes all the time I spent with the work up training for Afghanistan and the three months in Afghanistan. I truly love my job but it is a little strange to think that I have been roughing it for over six months of the past year. I know that my living arraignments in Afghanistan are far from roughing it but they are miles away from the modern comforts I can normally enjoy. With the exception of Starbucks.... Thank god for my mother and instant Starbucks!
2) Through 2009 I was able to devote considerable time to reading the books I wanted to. For eight months of the year, during my university period, I could only read the books that were on the class syllabus and not always what I was in the mood to read. On my Christmas breaks you would usually find me on a couch with a new book in my hands for hours on end; trying to finish the book before I had to go back. With out that pressure I was able to read my way through some Dickens, Rushdie, Dumas, Rand, and countless others. The final book I was able to get through in 2009, which I received this Christmas, is called Fob Doc by Captain Ray Wiss M.D.. It is the war diary that he kept in 2007 as a doctor outside the wire and his book gave me an opportunity to compare some aspects of his tour with mine.
3) When I went back through my writings over the past year, my blog posts and other notes I wrote, I am astounded at the different stages I went through. A year ago I was resolute in my desire to serve in Afghanistan, which has not changed, and was up for the challenge of the training ahead. Through the months of training I learnt a lot and developed the mentality needed for service. My writing went from being extremely guileless to concise, hard to believe I know, and orientated less about my convictions and simply that which was needed to improve upon for deployment. The same pattern can be seen in my blog posts from the start of my deployment to the end of the year. It is unbelievable how upbeat I am considering the fact that I had just entered a war zone. I guess it was to be expected as my adventure was just beginning, but what I did not expect to read was my post midway through December. I sounded almost depressed in my writing which is completely out of context for my character. I guess the monotony of this war and the isolation was getting to me. This is where the book by Captain Wiss comes into play.
Captain Wiss, whom has been in and around war zones for twenty years, was only on a four month tour but was here during similar months. What he wrote during the same time period, mid-December, changed my outlook instantly. He stated very plainly "War is 95% boredom and 5% terror." There is incredible truth in that statement as much of our time is idly spent working out or maintaining our weapons. The point I am slowly getting to, is that I was reminded that I am only one of many out here. Many different people are having my experience right now but I must wait, idly if need be, for my troop to be used. This is not the time, nor the place to be feeling sorry for myself.
*I started writing this in early Jan. but because of internet troubles it was near impossible to post. I am now in KAF and spending my last night in Afghanistan for some time. What I wrote about the slow pace of the winter months was reaffirmed by many of my buddies whom are scattered across Afghanistan. The toughest part of the tour so far is simply keeping the mind sharp.
Bdr Fossum
No comments:
Post a Comment