Much has happened in this world of mine since I last wrote, but little of it has to do with the mission in Afghanistan. Believe me when I say that I am not disappointed in saying this. While we maintain a heightened level of diligence to our duties, I find myself in a near constant state of anticipation for all things Canadian. I certainly take less for granted over here than I do back home. As written previously, soldiers are constantly employed in a search for things to pass the time (turning rock throwing into a game for instance) and one of these things is to reminisce about that which we had back home. Here is a short list of some of the things I have noticed come up on many occasions:
1) The smells of home! Make no mistake that we take smell, or lack of smell, for granted on a regular basis. Afghanistan is a sun parched desert with very few underground sewers. The air is not a constant putrid stink of open sewer but this place will never find its scent on a Febreeze commercial. Not to say that all olfactory experiences have been negative. Not more than a month ago I was on the phone with my father and stated that despite the searing heat it smelt like a hot August morning during harvest. These moments are bittersweet as they are too infrequent.
2) Food. I get three meals a day. They vary about as much as a cafeteria can when feeding hundreds of people and when resupply can be unpredictable at best. The meals are meant to provide enough calories for a soldier to operate in the most dire of circumstances. The meals need a little bit of Ketchup, some BBQ sauce, or at the very least some pepper to make them palatable. I am thankful for the sustenance but I have become the human embodiment of Pavlov's dogs. My mouth waters nearly uncontrollably when I see food in a magazine, watch a commercial for a restaurant, or even think of my mothers famous chocolate sheet cake/ chocolate chip cookies/ home made buns.
3) Driving my Jeep. I have always taken driving for granted and concluded long ago that this must be a product of my environment. Farm kids drive vehicles early on and log more miles by the time they 18 through necessity than most city kids will by their 25th birthday. Now that I have been over here for seven months, I long to drive. This might have to do with the fact that I bought a dream vehicle last summer after driving university grade cars for six years, but many soldiers share my sentiments. There is solace in being on the highway with your music and thoughts, savagery in the power beneath your foot, and liberty to go where you please and see whom you wish. In the highly regimented world of a soldier; it is an escape.
If I were to list the superficial things that every person misses at some point I would still be writing. Yeah sure I cannot wait until the day in which porcelain is my only option or when I will be able to sleep on a real bed, but these three things are never far from my thoughts. I will not despair though, as it is only just over a month and I will be able to delight in all of them again.
Hope all is well back in Canada!
Bdr Fossum
No comments:
Post a Comment